emacs-tangents

Re: Hardware respecting your freedom

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: Hardware respecting your freedom
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2020 14:53:26 +0200

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>   > > I think KDE was not really free at the time.
>   > I used it around 2000, it was free.
>
> The issue with KDE, as of 1998, was that Qt was nonfree.
>
> At some point Qt was made free.  I don't know whether that had
> happened by 2000.  Maybe a few years after.
Something like that. Qt was dual licensed (still is) and there was fear
that GPL license for Qt will go away. Someone (KDE folks I think)
started work on Free version of Qt, and it ended up on agreement between
KDE and Trolltech at the time that Qt shell be remain avialable under
GPL license.

Gnome was a reaction to KDE to build a desktop on a completely Free
toolkit, and was answer to KDE guys choosing Qt as a base for the
desktop.

I am not sure if I am correct about, something amongst those lines.