emacs-tangents

Re: Rethinking the design of xwidgets

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: Rethinking the design of xwidgets
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2020 14:25:47 +0200

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>   > So I really don't know what is sustainability in refusing to use newer
>   > CPUs?
>
> I agree that is a problem.  But we can't win by surrendering.
I agree with you that surrender is not an option! And I admire your
effort to eat "your own dog food"; I am not that disciplined as you are,
my computer has nvidia card in it; rest is free.

But we have to choose a fight wisely. Obviously, we can't win fight to
convince the world not to buy latest CPUs (even AMD seems to have a
version of this), nor the lastest GPUs. Nvidia even publicly apologized
for not being able to produce many enough of their expensive 3080s. I
can't even afford one, even if I wanted :D.

> I am hoping that the various efforts to make newer, freer computers
> will fix this before too late.
Oh, you were to optimistic about people! Convinience and greed are
mighty drivers, we should never under estimate those. :-) I don't know,
I am half-joking about, but humans do tend to choose the path of lesser
friction and worse evil. Probably are many more aware of the problem,
but they simply choose between "lesser" evil: the power of new
technology to solve the real-life problems, vs the problem of this
techonology to control them. I think the problem is underestimated by
many unfortuantely. Yuval Noah Harari has many correct ones about the
technology and future.

> However, could we please move this discussion off emacs-devel?
> It's not on topic here.
Of course, I appologize!

I realized that you are completely correct just like few
hours later. Sorry for not doing it earlier. Jean-Lous already moved it
to tangents.