Re: Org element cache in indirect buffers

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Org element cache in indirect buffers
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 18:02:21 +0000

[Adding Org ML back to CC]

Sebastian <s.walinder@gmail.com> writes:

> Thank you so much for the detailed explanation!
>
> Maybe memory-report is counting what's at the end of the reference, and
> your change fixes it.

memory-report is counting buffer data separately, even when buffer-local
variables reference to the same data objects.
I just reported this upstream:

My change simply clears the references to AVL-tree roots that are copied
over when Emacs clones the buffer. The edge cases I was talking about
are when the main AVL-tree changes its root. That would make indirect
buffer actually keep reference to obsolete root and the rest of the
obsolete AVL-tree, preventing it from being garbage-collected.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,