Re: Is this proper time format?

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Is this proper time format?
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2023 10:02:53 +0000

David Masterson <dsmasterson@gmail.com> writes:

>>> Maybe I'm not explicit enough.  In section 8.1 of the Org 9.6 manual is
>>> a subsection "Time/Date Range" that *implies* times are supported in
>>> ranges by the use of words "time" and "timestamp" when, above, you're
>>> saying they are undefined (unsupported?) for now.  I'm merely saying
>>> adjust the manual to remove the implication.
>>
>> Please check the manual from main branch of Org. It has more text:
>
> I disagree. I cloned Org from Savannah and made the attached patch
> file from the main branch.  First time for me attaching a file to a
> message.   Does it work for you?

Yes. Though it would be better to attach the diff with proper (.diff or
.patch) extension.

Even better would be providing commit message and formatting the patch
properly. See https://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.html#first-patch
Not mandatory though - I can format things properly on your behalf.

> -  Two timestamps connected by =--= denote a range.
> +  Two timestamps connected by =--= denote a date range.  NOTE: time is
> +  not specified in these timestamps -- just dates,

I'd avoid this NOTE. Time is actually allowed, but agenda does nothing
with it. But only agenda. The rest of Org will handle date ranges like
<2023-06-10 Sat 14:00>--<2023-06-12 Mon 18:00> correctly.

> -#+cindex: timestamps
> -#+cindex: ranges, time
> -#+cindex: date stamps
> -#+cindex: deadlines
> -#+cindex: scheduling

Is there any particular reason why you removed index entries here and
further in the diff?

>    A timestamp may contain a /repeater interval/, indicating that it
>    applies not only on the given date, but again and again after
> -  a certain interval of N hours (h), days (d), weeks (w), months (m),
> -  or years (y).  The following shows up in the agenda every Wednesday:
> +  a certain interval of N days (d), weeks (w), months (m), or years
> +  (y).  The following shows up in the agenda every Wednesday:

Why did you remove hours?

>    For more complex date specifications, Org mode supports using the
> -  special expression diary entries implemented in the
> -  [[info:emacs#Special Diary Entries][Emacs Calendar package]][fn:20].
> -  For example, with optional time:
> +  special expression diary entries implemented in the Emacs Calendar
> +  package.  For example, with optional time:

Why did you remove the links and the footnote?

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,