Re: [BUG] No space after footnote with org-export-with-footnotes set to

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [BUG] No space after footnote with org-export-with-footnotes set to nil [9.6.1 ( @ /Users/test/.emacs.d/elpa/28.0/develop/org-9.6.1/)]
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2023 13:59:46 +0000

> On 05/03/2023 20:01, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
>> Consider
>>
>> * Heading [0/1] text
>> Text with newline\\
>> [footnote]  more text.
>> Text (parens[footnote] ).
>
> I am not convinced that space should be dropped here.

I agree about the last example, but what about "Heading [0/1] text"?

>> It might be enough to use spaces if and only if there are no preceding
>> spaces. Or not. One may think of other edge cases.
>
> An idea: retain :post-blank having more spaces. Newline > tab, tab = 8
> spaces.

May you elaborate about "newline > tab, tab = 8 spaces"?

> Ihor, could you, please, be more specific concerning languages where
> spaces may be used before footnote marks? I would expect at least
> non-breakable spaces, but they are not stripped currently.

Well. Not languages per se. (I have none in mind)
I was thinking about various representations of footnotes. In
particular, footnotes in ascii/texinfo export.

However, I now checked what we do about footnotes in Org manual, and we
do not use spaces:

    The summary type.  If specified, the column values for parent nodes
    are computed from the children(1).

So, maybe it is safe to assume that spaces are not commonly used right
before footnote references.

This is only for footnotes though. The code responsible for removing
certain AST objects during export works not just foot footnotes. Unless
there is a strong reason to treat footnotes specially, I'd prefer a more
universal solution of the problem that will work for all kinds of
removed objects.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,