Re: [POLL] Proposed syntax for timestamps with time zone info (was: [FEA

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: [POLL] Proposed syntax for timestamps with time zone info (was: [FEATURE REQUEST] Timezone support in org-mode datestamps and org-agenda)
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2023 00:38:33 +0300

* ypuntot <ypuntot@gmail.com> [2023-02-05 16:03]:
> For the Poll, the Jeans proposal would be to introduce manually:
> [2024-02-04 12:00 @America/Vancouver]

I never recommend or recommended to anybody, ever, to make timestamps
manually. That is for computer to make it right.

For human, that is to use calendar. Calendar must use time zone
databases in background as to avoid placing invalid timestamps.

> And org to convert it into:
> [2024-02-04 12:00 @-08,America/Vancouver]

If we speak of future planning, general recommendation I have already
referenced is:

- to say date, time and time zone,

- while knowing one cannot know if time zone will exist in future

- while knowing UTC offset may be changed in future, for future
  timestamps for human meetings is not necessary and not absolutely
  possible to know UTC offset

- future time zone database could tell that time zone does not exist
  any more. It could maybe try to derive new time zone, but it is
  vague, as cities and countries could change.

- future time zone database can have the new updated UTC offset.

- if offset is placed in future timestamps, again the future time zone
  database should be consulted. Change of UTC offset would not
  humanely change the time of meeting. If time of meeting is 12
  o'clock, then it would remain same, no matter offset. But other
  participants would need to consult time zone database to understand
  the time of meeting.

- for past timestamps local time plus UTC offset is good choice.

p--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman