Re: [POLL] Proposed syntax for timestamps with time zone info (was: [FEA

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [POLL] Proposed syntax for timestamps with time zone info (was: [FEATURE REQUEST] Timezone support in org-mode datestamps and org-agenda)
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2023 10:44:09 +0000

Ypo <ypuntot@gmail.com> writes:

> 4. For the Poll: What would be the expected behavior if we used the UTC
> offset?  [2024-02-04 12:00 @-08,America/Vancouver]
>      - We should know beforehand the DST of Vancouver, or there would be
> warnings. It seems more difficult for the user: maybe the "-08," should
> be optional?

In what I suggested,

[2024-02-04 12:00 @-08,America/Vancouver] will use fixed -8 offset
[2024-02-04 12:00 @-08] will also use fixed -8 offset
[2024-02-04 12:00 @America/Vancouver] will use @America/Vancouver time
zone, as it is be defined in you OS time zone database.
[2024-02-04 12:00 @-08,!America/Vancouver] (note "!") will use fixed -8
offset, but also calculate America/Vancouver time from TZ database,
compare it with the time coming from -8 offset, and warn you if there is
inconsistency.

>      - Case 3: After updating the tz database we would get warnings too.
> To correct those warnings, should the UTC offset be changed manually in
> the timestamp?. If there were 35 meetings in Vancouver throughout the
> year, to change all the UTC offsets could be non trivial for a normal
> user: UTC of the summer and winter would differ.
>        [2024-09-04 12:00 @-07,America/Vancouver] should be changed to
> [2024-09-04 12:00 @-08,America/Vancouver]
>        [2024-02-04 12:00 @-08,America/Vancouver] should be changed to
> [2024-02-04 12:00 @-09,America/Vancouver]

In what I suggested, you will need to mark "!" in order to get warnings.
There will be little point correcting, for example, clock entries - they
already represent the correct past time.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,