Re: Internal links to lines in different org files

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: Internal links to lines in different org files
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2023 22:25:11 +0700

On 28/01/2023 19:35, kevin lucas wrote:
from a different org file write a link like [[foo::my_code][Some code]] and have it refer back to the exact line in the first file.

Usually links in org start with "type:" prefix. I can not say it for sure, but your link looks like a fuzzy link (search in the same file).

I recommend you to run

    M-x org-link RET

for a report on possible issues with your file.

2. If this behavior isn’t in org mode, could it be added?

First of all, have a look into (info "(org) Search Options") https://orgmode.org/manual/Search-Options.html
Notice "file:" type of the links.

3. Connected to this: if I export an org file containing an ordinary link to another node to PDF, the PDF compiles and I get a dead link in the file. If one tries to export org files with these double colon links there's an error message `Unable to resolve ID "foo::myname"`. Is there a way to generate the PDF just like in the first case?

Export may be affected by some bugs. Try to open PDF file in a browser to inspect what is the target of the exported link.