Internal links to lines in different org files

From: kevin lucas
Subject: Internal links to lines in different org files
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2023 13:35:07 +0100

A neat little feature that as far as I can tell is only available in Doom Emacs is the ability to link to specific labeled lines from different org files. So for instance when I use org-roam I can in an org file with ID foo label a block of code with #+name: my_code and then from a different org file write a link like [[foo::my_code][Some code]] and have it refer back to the exact line in the first file.

I have several questions:

1. Is this feature indeed specific to Doom Emacs? Looking at the code that gets called it seems there were modifications in Doom to org-id that allow appending a name to an org ID using double colons in this way. I’ve asked in a number of other forums and no one has been able to replicate this outside Doom.
2. If this behavior isn’t in org mode, could it be added?
3. Connected to this: if I export an org file containing an ordinary link to another node to PDF, the PDF compiles and I get a dead link in the file. If one tries to export org files with these double colon links there's an error message `Unable to resolve ID "foo::myname"`. Is there a way to generate the PDF just like in the first case?

Thanks,
Kevin