Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] Timezone support in org-mode datestamps and org-ag

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] Timezone support in org-mode datestamps and org-agenda
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2023 12:02:49 +0000

Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> writes:

>> Does it sound good enough?
>
> No, I'm afraid not. How does org distinguish between meeting 1 and
> meeting 2? IN meeting one, when the timezone transitions in/out of
> daylight savings, nothing needs to change, but in meeting 2, when this
> occurs, the meeting needs to be re-sechduled so that it keeps the same
> offset relative to UTC.
> Some mechanism is needed so that the user can
> identify timestamps like those fo rmeeting 1 from those for meeting
> 2. My idea was to have meeting 1 type timestamps without TZ info and
> meeting 2 require fully qualified TZ info. However, while this would
> probably work, I don't like it because it isn't explicit and would be
> prone to errors.

I still don't understand.

In Org, you will have a default time zone that will be used to build the
agenda.

In meeting 1, you set the time zone to your local zone
In meeting 2, you set the time zone to the time zone where the meeting
is scheduled.

The, both the meetings will be first converted to the default time zone
and appear in your agenda adjusted as required.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,