Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] Timezone support in org-mode datestamps and org-ag

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] Timezone support in org-mode datestamps and org-agenda
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 08:29:21 +0300

* Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> [2023-01-19 00:31]:
> The problem is with meeting 2 and the assumption there is a definitive
> timezone for the meeting.
>
> Consider this scenario. I have a meeting with two other people. We are
> all in different timezone. What is the timezone of the meeting?

Org in this state can't handle such things.

A person in any timezone shall be able to see that time in his local
time zone if we speak of distant meetings, and in case of face to face
meetings, that person shall have computer aid to show him the meeting
time in any time zone that user is located, during travel and upon
arrival to face to face meeting.

User is supposed to be assisted by computer. And not to assist to
computer, or to get troubles from computer.

- Time zone shall be more or less recognizable by city and country.

- User addresses in the address book shall be part of every computer system

- It is natural and common sense to know addresses of people one wants
  to meet

- By using location of person one wants to meet, computer has got
  enough information for representation of the time zone

- By sharing appointment record to user in other time zone, that user
  would see it in his time zone, or by choice in original time zone of
  the meeting place

A record of time, shall have two attributes, the UTC time and the time
zone to be displayed. By using system time zone setting, Org file time
zone settings, heading time zone settings or time stamp time zone
setting, any export of Org shall contain (by user's option) the
desired representation of time stamps.

Function of sharing of meetings shall ask local user:

- is user in different time zone?

And then by choice of the user's location, the time representation
shall be prepared in such way that both parties understand each other.

That is really not in the sphere of Org where there is not even a
decent address book available.

Just re-write the time by hand for your friend at other part of the
world, write the timestamp in his time zone and your time zone, and
problem solved.

It is supposed to be text. It is not God.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman