Re: org-todo-keywords and task sequence

From: David Masterson
Subject: Re: org-todo-keywords and task sequence
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2023 17:59:44 -0800

> David Masterson <dsmasterson@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> The problem is (I think), when you attach @ or ! to the state and, as you
>> cycle thru (S-right), new unintended notes will be added as you cycle to
>> the state you're looking for.  True?
>
> If you attach @ or !, those notes are not unintended.
> S-right is not for you to play around, it is for actual work on actual
> tasks. If you tell Org to take a note on switching to next TODO state,
> that's what you want. If you don't want it, don't put @ or !.

Or cycling -- note taking is much more important and cycling only works
for simple workflows.  My previous example shows how easy it is to make
a (by Org definition) "complex" workflow.  I could probably use tags for
changing states, but notes are not automatic.  And you're using two
things for essentially the same purpose (state transition).

>> Can you repeat a keyword in org-todo-keywords? Perhaps there should be a
>> sparse table defining, for a current state, what are the potential next
>> states? ...
>
> No. S-right feature is there for simple workflows.  I am against
> introducing complex workflows for no reason.  It will do no good for
> the users. Complex workflows are rarely useful in practice, except
> some specialized scenarios, which are not common enough to include
> into the core.

If org-todo-keywords has no sequence, does S-right cycle?  I suppose I
could shift to just types and tags and avoid S-right.

Workflows can easily get complex -- just add WAIT and HOLD for example.

> And yes, you can use org-edna or custom org-trigger-hook if you need
> something non-orthodox.

I'll have to explore org-edna more.  I do think that the use of
"sequence" in org-todo-keywords complicates the variable because it
talks about "simple workflow" and leaves people wondering (like me) how
to change their view of a workflow to fit Org.

I'll play with it some more.

--
David Masterson