Re: [RFC] Re: Headings and Headlines

From: Timothy
Subject: Re: [RFC] Re: Headings and Headlines
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2022 23:03:22 +0800

Hi Vikas,

> I think, from a linguistic perspective, “heading” and “subheading” are more
> appropriate than “headline” and “subheadline”.

Unfortunately I’m completely with you (and previous comments here). The meaning
of “headline” is closer to “title” than “heading”. A document can have multiple
headings but only a single headline (which is specifically the line at the top,
e.g. “Newspaper headline”).

As Ihor points out though, from a compat perspective, a change to “heading” may
be intractable. This gives me rather mixed feelings, as I’m of a similar mind
regarding the org-element headline->heading change being too problematic, but
settling on the less accurate term seems quite undesirable too, and doesn’t sit
well with me.

All the best,
Timothy

--
Timothy (‘tecosaur’/‘TEC’), Org mode contributor.
or support my work at <https://liberapay.com/tec>.