Re: Some links in online manual do not work

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: Some links in online manual do not work
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2022 08:04:08 +1100

Tim Landscheidt <tim@tim-landscheidt.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> at https://orgmode.org/manual/HTML-Export.html, the links
> for the first five (5) and the last two (2) subsections
> work, the links for:
>
> - "Headlines in HTML export"
>   (https://orgmode.org/manual/Headlines-in-HTML-export.html)
> - "Links in HTML export"
>   (https://orgmode.org/manual/Links-in-HTML-export.html)
> - "Tables in HTML export"
>   (https://orgmode.org/manual/Tables-in-HTML-export.html)
> - "Images in HTML export"
>   (https://orgmode.org/manual/Images-in-HTML-export.html)
> - "Math formatting in HTML export"
>   (https://orgmode.org/manual/Math-formatting-in-HTML-export.html)
> - "Text areas in HTML export"
>   (https://orgmode.org/manual/Text-areas-in-HTML-export.html)
>
> however all return "301 Moved Permanently", pointing back to
> "HTML-Export.html".
>
> The fact that all failing links are named
> "Something-in-HTML-export.html" might suggest an issue with
> the webserver configuration.

This looks like the nginx case issue again.

I've looked at this and there does not seem to be any 'clean' way to fix
this which also doesn't have significant processing overhead or a
maintenance burden.

I wonder if it would be worthwhile adding an option to HTML export which
would force all link targets and exported filenames to lower case,
thereby avoiding issues on platforms and with web servers which have
different positions wrt case sensitivity?