Re: Explicit page breaks (was: Create in Org a bilingual book with facin

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Explicit page breaks (was: Create in Org a bilingual book with facing pages)
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2022 11:13:33 +0800

Juan Manuel Macías <maciaschain@posteo.net> writes:

> Well, considering that the most sensible place (IMO) to introduce an
> explicit page break would be before almost anything that isn't a section
> (since in sections page breaks should be defined by style), how about
> something like this:
>
> #+ATTR_LATEX: :pagebreak \clearpage
> #+ATTR_ODT: :pagebreak t
> Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit...
>
> (In the case of LaTeX the expected value of :pagebreak could be any of
> several commands that LaTeX has for page breaking (or any other
> arbitrary code). And if you put :pagebreak t, the default value would be
> \pagebreak.
>
> And to introduce an explicit break before a heading, the above could be
> added as a property.

I do not like this idea.

Do note that page breaks may or may not lay between paragraphs or Org
elements. By its nature, page break is an object (in Org terminology).

I do understand your desire to allow putting page breaks before
headings. However, I think that proliferation of such export options is
a mistake. Instead, we should provide a generic way to define pre/post
text when exporting headings. We do discuss :export_templates in the
other thread, and we may as well define something similar but for
including the normal Org markup. (It should not be a property - I'd
rather have Org markup to be placed directly into the document and not
hidden inside properties drawer).

In any case, I'd rather discuss the question of putting staff prior to
exported heading in the :export_template thread.

--
Ihor Radchenko,
Org mode contributor,