Re: org exported pdf files

From: Timothy
Subject: Re: org exported pdf files
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 17:19:52 +0800

Hi Tim,

> It would probably be good to add the two above packages as part of the
> ’default’ package preamble, but this would require considerable testing
> as it isn’t known if there will be adverse effects when mixed with other
> packages.

Those packages are early accessibility experiments, and are /not/ intended for
wider use. See the top of the <https://github.com/AndyClifton/accessibility>
README: “Prototype. Not suitable for production”.  The author themselves said in
a [2020 tex.SE answer] that:

      `accessibility' was developed and published back in 2007 as a proof of
concept for
      some of the KOMA document styles. I got hold of the files from the author
in
      2019 and took over maintenance with her permission. I tidied up the
package
      enough to get it to CTAN, but didn’t update the functionality. I also
published
      it to GitHub to get some feedback on it.

      It seems to have worked well in 2007 for a few test cases. Unfortunately
it now
      fails every test case, and it looks like needing some serious efforts to
fix.

      Because of this I no longer think that accessibility is fit for purpose.

They also go on to make a comment I’ve seen a few times from the people working
on the latex3 accessibility project — basically that in order to actually get
a /good/ solution, we’ll need to wait till support is baked into the LaTeX core.

If we’re desperate to add this, we’ll likely want to look at `tagpdf' which is
written by someone working on the latex3 accessibility project. It is apparently
capable of passing PCA3, however according to the author:

      `tagpdf' hasn’t been written as a user package but to allow experiments
and tests
      and to help to identify missing interfaces in the kernel and in packages.
It can
      change at any time in incompatible ways and it requires some skills to
use it.

So, while it may be a particularly boring answer, I think “wait and see” is our
current best bet.

All the best,
Timothy

[2020 tex.SE answer] <https://tex.stackexchange.com/a/551287/167605>