Re: contact management in emacs

From: Sébastien Rey-Coyrehourcq
Subject: Re: contact management in emacs
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2022 18:11:23 +0200

Hi,

After some search today on the web, like Alan i try to compare all possibility to manage my contact + mail using emacs, mu4e, and org.

Since Alan Schmitt message, i think many people jump into the great *org-roam* wagon to manage notes, bibliography, links, everything...

I'm into this *crazy* wagon, trying now to manage contact, with this workflow :

- one file/node by contact,
- stored into the org-roam specific folder "/myorgroamfolder/contact/ with this encrypted org pattern to protect files "*.org.gpg"
- using into mu4e

There are some post exploring part of this use case on the web, but i first focus to *org-contacts*, because it's well integrated with mu4e auto-completion :

Moving from org-contrib to https://repo.or.cz/org-contacts.git , accessible with melpa,  the documentation is mostly into the source-code actually, i found few example on the web .

What property field are correct :MOBILE:, :PHONE:, :BIRTHDAY: , and ?

I found some information about configuration in Terencio Agozzino dotfiles (https://github.com/rememberYou/.emacs.d) but when i try to adapt to this use case, that don't work, probably because i misunderstand something, about properties name, or localization into the .org.gpg files.

I config like that (org-contacts-file (file-expand-wildcards "~/my-org-roam-folder/contact/*.org.gpg))

It's slow because everything need to be unencrypted before (this is another problem ...) but something i don't understand is how matching work : calling "M-x org-contacts", i try multiple patterns, so i'm interested by a working org/org-roam contact example.

I found some alternatives to test next week :

- org-vcard (on github) compatible with org-contacts, focusing on import/export of vcard files
- mu4e-contacts (on gitlab) using helm / mu4e, inspired by org-contacts
- org-ql query ?

Best,

Sebastien R.C