Re: contact management in emacs

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: contact management in emacs
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2022 13:46:02 +0800

Sébastien Rey-Coyrehourcq <sebastien.rey-coyrehourcq@univ-rouen.fr>
writes:

> Moving from org-contrib to https://repo.or.cz/org-contacts.git ,
> accessible with melpa,  the documentation is mostly into the source-code
> actually, i found few example on the web .
>
> What property field are correct :MOBILE:, :PHONE:, :BIRTHDAY: , and ?

First, remember that org-contacts is built on top of generic Org
search.

org-contacts.el considers Org headline to be a contact record when it
contains any of
org-contacts-email-property
org-contacts-alias-property
org-contacts-tel-property
org-contacts-address-property
org-contacts-birthday-property

properties.

All the variables can be changed to your preference.

> I config like that (org-contacts-file (file-expand-wildcards
> "~/my-org-roam-folder/contact/*.org.gpg))
>
> It's slow because everything need to be unencrypted before (this is
> another problem ...) but something i don't understand is how matching
> work :
> calling "M-x org-contacts", i try multiple patterns, so i'm interested
> by a working org/org-roam contact example.

M-x org-contacts does a simple regexp matching across contacts.

If you want integration with org-roam, you may probably want a custom
org-roam matches equivalent to org-contacts-matcher.

There is also M-x org-contacts-completing-read

For the slowness of opening the contacts, you may consider doing
M-x profiler-start .. M-x profiler-report to see what exactly is being
slow.

> I found some alternatives to test next week :
>
> - org-vcard (on github) compatible with org-contacts, focusing on
> import/export of vcard files
> - mu4e-contacts (on gitlab) using helm / mu4e, inspired by org-contacts
> - org-ql query ?

org-ql may be an option though it works best for a single large Org
file. You may have better luck using org-roam built-in search. I think
that the most straightforward way to integrate with org-roam would be
adding a "contact" tag to your contact records and then using the
standard org-roam search.

Hope it helps.

--
Ihor Radchenko,