Re: Can citeproc be installed without using MELPA? (was: @string abbrevi

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Can citeproc be installed without using MELPA? (was: @string abbreviation in bib file not honored in (basic) org-cite)
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2022 10:06:48 +0800

Joost Kremers <joostkremers@fastmail.fm> writes:

>>> looking into the source code (parsebib.el), the library seems to be
>>> under a BSD-type license.
>
> Yes, it is. It's a single file and the license is at the top. I can add a
> separate license file if that's necessary.

It is not required. Just a bit confusing - Github is only able to detect
license info when you have a dedicated license file. Hence, Github
currently treats your repo as unlicensed - no license info is listed in
the "Info" sidebar.

>> Then, I am wondering if parsebib can be added to ELPA or at least
>> non-GNU ELPA. The same can be said for all other dependencies of
>> citeproc.el and for citeproc itself.
>
> I'd have no problem if it were added to non-GNU ELPA. GNU ELPA is a little
> difficult because I don't have a copyright assignment on file. (It's proven a
> little difficult to get someone in the company to sign the corporate
> waiver...)

non-GNU ELPA is also fine. The idea is to avoid asking users to add
extra package repo configuration. It will be the best if M-x
package-install just works. ELPA and non-GNU ELPA should be available by
default in newer Emacs versions.

Best,
Ihor