Re: @string abbreviation in bib file not honored in (basic) org-cite [an

From: Alain . Cochard
Subject: Re: @string abbreviation in bib file not honored in (basic) org-cite [and a minimal working example with natbib]
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2022 06:52:32 +0200

Alain.Cochard@unistra.fr writes on Sat  9 Jul 2022 08:10:

 > the examples I found on this mailing list did not work for me).

I think I now understand why this was so: because latexmk was not
installed on my system.  In this case the docstring of
org-latex-pdf-process says that

   Its value is ("%latex -interaction nonstopmode -output-directory %o
   %f" "%latex -interaction nonstopmode -output-directory %o %f"
   "%latex -interaction nonstopmode -output-directory %o %f")

(which does not include bibtex, hence the problem I had) while, if
latexmk is installed,

   Its value is ("latexmk -f -pdf -%latex -interaction=nonstopmode
   -output-directory=%o %f")

In other words, in the minimal example I provided earlier in the
thread, if latexmk is installed I only need (require 'oc-natbib) in
the emacs init file, in agreement with what others have proposed.

But now I wonder if this excerpt of the docstring:

   Consider a smart LaTeX compiler such as ‘texi2dvi’ or ‘latexmk’,
   which calls the "correct" combinations of auxiliary programs.

is appropriate.  How understand it when latexmk _is_ installed?  But
even when latexmk is not installed, I don't find the sentence helpful.
In fact, I had read this part but, as I did not know what latexmk was,
I did not know what to do with it.  Perhaps I would have understood if
it had been explicit that the value of org-latex-pdf-process depends
on the existence of latexmk.  (And I still don't understand the
relevance of the reference to texi2dvi.)

--
EOST (École et Observatoire des Sciences de la Terre)
ITE (Institut Terre & Environnement) | alain.cochard@unistra.fr