Re: C-SPC works; C-u C-SPC doesn't. How could be?

From: Bruno Barbier
Subject: Re: C-SPC works; C-u C-SPC doesn't. How could be?
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2022 21:13:37 +0200

Ypo <ypuntot@gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks, Bruno
>
> I've debugged it manually because (keymap-lookup) doesn't seem to exist
> in my emacs, if that's possible.

Sorry, my bad. 'keymap-lookup' will only exist in 29.  I should have
used 'lookup-key':

     (lookup-key global-map (kbd "C-u"))

> The problem comes from:
>
> (define-key org-mode-map (kbd "C-u C-n") #'org-next-item)
>
> If I eval that line, "C-u C-SPC" stops working on org-mode.
>
> Same problem in runemacs -q. Is it a bug?

That line is the problem. It's hiding the real "C-u"
(universal-argument) in org-mode buffers. Once you've lost the standard
meaning of "C-u", you can't use C-u C-SPC and all other functions.

Maybe you could use the keys that are already defined by org, to move
between list items ?

    ‘S-<UP>’
    ‘S-<DOWN>’
         Jump to the previous/next item in the current list, but only if
         ‘org-support-shift-select’ is off(6).  If not, you can still use
         paragraph jumping commands like ‘C-<UP>’ and ‘C-<DOWN>’ to quite
         similar effect.

Bruno