Re: [DISCUSSION, default settings] Using mailcap as default handler for

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: [DISCUSSION, default settings] Using mailcap as default handler for opening file links
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2022 23:38:11 +0700

On 07/06/2022 00:47, Bhavin Gandhi wrote:
On Mon, 6 Jun 2022 at 19:09, Max Nikulin <manikulin@gmail.com> wrote:
P.P.S. I had a hope that recent Fedora-36 release has Emacs-28 packaged,
so it would be possible to test live image in qemu to quickly check
behavior in full-fledged desktop environment, but version 27 is really
packaged there.

I think we will have Emacs 28 in Fedora 37 (that's because major changes
are not introduced in beta/released versions)[1].

I have noticed your activity in search results but finally I decided to revive existing minimal LXC container with Arch.

I can test the Emacs 28 + Fedora 36 combination, if you give me steps to
perform. Sorry, I don't have full context on how MIME type stuff applies
to Org mode etc., so I can try the steps and report back the behavior.

Thank you for offering a hand. Actually there are too many variables to ask for particular actions. I was trying various functions and stepping through them in debugger having side by side windows of Emacs-26 from Ubuntu-20.04 and Emacs-28 from ArchLinux (Emacs-27 has a bug in mailcap.el rather serious in this case). Content of /etc/mime.types (e.g. shell script definitions) and /etc/mailcap (presence of */* less %s) varies in Linux distributions, `mailcap-mime-apps' is not the only map of handlers withing Emacs, `org-open-file' uses `auto-mode-alist' and `org-file-apps'...

It is even more off-topic here, but since packaging Emacs for next Fedora has been mentioned, I have another question. To test my patches for Org I have LXC containers with various versions of Ubuntu and installing Emacs there pulls reasonable amount of X11 libraries. Several months ago I tried to install Emacs in a Fedora-35 container. I gave up because of enormous amount of requirements including wayland, libraries related to hardware acceleration and maybe even drivers. Often I do not mount /dev/dri inside containers, so a lot of packages were completely useless for me. Amount of required libraries in Arch is not so huge.