Re: Ambiguity in commit message conventions for org

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: Ambiguity in commit message conventions for org
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2022 18:02:09 +0200

    Ihor> Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:
    Ihor> See https://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.html
    >>
    >> Those conventions are slightly different than Emacs', with one point
    >> of ambiguity. They say
    >>
    >> The summary line contains the 'lisp' directory, but the ChangeLog entry
    >> doesnʼt, and in the example just after itʼs the other way around:

    Ihor> You are right. The example is indeed a bit confusing. The main
    Ihor> difference between Emacs' and Org's converntions is in summary line.
We
    Ihor> are less formal about and prefer shorter summaries. You can drop the
    Ihor> directory or even file name if it saves space and does not create
    Ihor> amiguity.

Emacs convention is to not mention the file name in the summary,
unless itʼs a one-file change, in which case you put the filename with
'* ' prepended (although some contributors prefer not to do that).

I went for 'dir/filename' in the summary, since Iʼm lazy and can copy
that from the ChangeLog commit message :-)

Robert