Re: Proposal: 'executable' org-capture-templaes

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Proposal: 'executable' org-capture-templaes
Date: Fri, 27 May 2022 13:27:50 +0800

Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com> writes:

> I was playing with org-capture today, and it strike me that it could be used
> as
> a simple and lightweight alternative to create GUIs for user options, somewhat
> resembling the use of well-known hydra/transient or built-in help macro or
> easy
> menu.

Is there any reason why you dislike transient (now part of Emacs core)?
We actually had multiple threads discussing possibility to port all the
Org dialogues to transient.

> I would like to propose a small 'feature/change' to org-capture templates, to
> inlude a new target: 'exec'. It should be followed by a function to be
> executed.
>
> I believe that this is a simple change that does not intrude on anything else
> in
> org-capture, you can see the attached patch. The goal is to just circumwent
> the
> createion of capture buffer, bookmark and other processing done by org-capture
> etc. However there might be things I am not aware of, so if someone have more
> insight, it is welcomed to hear.

It seems to be quite out of scope of org-capture. If anything, capture
menu might be factored out to a generic menu framework. But again, we
already have transient achieving the same goal.

Best,
Ihor