Re: Proposal: 'executable' org-capture-templaes

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Proposal: 'executable' org-capture-templaes
Date: Mon, 30 May 2022 13:05:43 +0800

Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com> writes:

>> By "generic" I did not mean general-purpose all-functional framework.
>> We just need something to remove code duplication in
>> org-export-dispatch, org-agenda, org-capture, org-set-tags-command, etc
>> They all share pretty similar code to generate dialogues.
>>
>> As for familiarity, I understand and it is exactly the reason why I
>> suggested to factor out the menu code from capture templates.
>
> I am not really familiar with those other dialogues but org-capture, so I only
> had that one in the mind. Yes, I agree if the similar code is used/shared in
> several places than it does make sense to refactor it out.

This refactoring could be a practical way to get something similar to
your proposal into Org core. At least, if the menus are factored out
appropriately.

The above statement is a hint that patches are welcome :)

>> The last one was
>> https://orgmode.org/list/8c364693bf6856e60cdd3e8b63ab0c9284d16733.camel@heagren.com
>> And we had multiple complaints that Org menus are not searchable and do
>> not allow recursive edit.
>
> I am not sure what complain about searchability is/was, so I should not say
> much
> there, but those are just a list of lists, saved in a well-known place,
> org-caputre-templates var, so one can always traverse that list, or search the
> menu buffer itself. Anyway thanks for the link, I have read through
> that discussion. Seems to me like most of you are in favour of refactoring org
> to use transient everywhere?

The complaint was mostly from users who wanted to interrupt, say, the
capture process, switch to the menu buffer, and search text there using
isearch. Similar to what you can do with vanilla *Completions* buffer.

Transient has met similar complaints when it was in the process of
merging into Emacs core and now transient does support this "searching"
possibility. That's why using transient could be an easy way for Org to
address such complaints without a need to increase the maintenance
burden.

However, despite general agreement that Org should switch to transient
menus, we will still keep backwards compatibility with the existing
menus. So, one way or another, the existing menus will be retained.
Ideally, also factored out and possibly merged into Emacs core (as
requested by RMS
https://orgmode.org/list/E1kIPh1-0001Lu-Rg@fencepost.gnu.org).

Best,
Ihor