Re: buffer displays incorrectly after capture

From: Skip Collins
Subject: Re: buffer displays incorrectly after capture
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 11:25:02 -0400

On Fri, Apr 1, 2022 at 3:46 PM Skip wrote:
> Another manifestation of the problem shows up when using
> auto-revert-mode. Starting with the single headline in a folded state
> as above, when I execute the following command in a shell,
> echo "* TODO bar :action:" >>capture.org
> then the capture.org buffer looks like this:
> * TODO foo :action:...* TODO bar :action:
>
> TAB unfolding the first headline shows up like this:
> * TODO foo :action:
> some text...* TODO bar :action:

I confirmed that the buffer display bug occurs with emacs -Q. Steps to
reproduce:
1. From a shell, open emacs with an empty file:
emacs -Q test.org

2. From emacs, enable auto-revert-mode:
M-x auto-revert-mode

3. From another shell, add text to the file:
echo "* foo\nsome text\n" >>test.org

4. From emacs, fold the headline:
S-TAB

5. From the shell, add more text to the file:
echo "* bar\n" >>test.org

6. Observe the incorrect display of the two headlines:
* foo...* bar

7. From emacs, fix the buffer display:
S-TAB

8. Observe the correct display of the two headlines:
* foo...
* bar

This bug seems to trigger when text is added indirectly to an org-mode
buffer, via both capture and auto-revert. I suspect it would show up
via refile as well.