Ethical problems with MathJax as default - Was: Faulty SVG width

From: Yuchen Guo
Subject: Ethical problems with MathJax as default - Was: Faulty SVG width
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2022 09:24:58 +0200

> The license is declared in the script. You can see it by following the
> script url. It is right on top.

True. My fault.  The problem is that the declaration is not
machine-readable by LibreJS.

On the other hand, I think it is more preferable and more
privacy-conscious to forbid loading from Cloudflare and use a local copy
of MathJax embedded in LibreJS instead:

- One can not trust Cloudflare.
- Even if it is trusted, Cloudflare would still (at least)
  log the IP address.

> I am not sure what is the problem here. Apache licence does not restrict
> modifications and you can use your modified MathJax source by
> customising org-html-mathjax-options.

Oh, I meant the freedom of the website visitor replacing MathJax with a
modified version on-the-fly, not of the website authors.  That is not
trivial.

Thanks for the tip!  I will certainly use a local copy of MathJax when
necessary.

--
Yuchen Guo