Re: citations: org-cite vs org-ref 3.0

From: John Kitchin
Subject: Re: citations: org-cite vs org-ref 3.0
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 13:00:11 -0400

"Bruce D'Arcus" <bdarcus@gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, Mar 21, 2022 at 10:41 AM Max Nikulin <manikulin@gmail.com> wrote:

>> A bit of routine work will alleviate some user issues:
>> - add missed styles
>
> The initial list of style-command mappings was pretty comprehensive,
> but we left out some of the more obscure biblatex commands because
> unsure if they were needed, or how best to add them (conceptually
> there's a mix of different kinds of commands in biblatex, which are
> hard to fit into a more general style system, for example).
>
> Since then:
>
> - people have occasionally asked to add new mappings, and Nicolas has added
> them
> - he's also added the styles defcustoms for biblatex, so users can do
> this themselves
>
> In short, I think we're good on this actually.
>
>> - improve documentation, e.g. to make backend choice more conscious.
>
> This is the bigger user-facing issue that could use attention.
>
>> Another point is more serious. Besides citations there are internal
>> cross-references. Org supports them but only in a rudimentary form.
>
> Indeed, the question of how to better support cross-references in org
> is an important one.
>
> I don't really use them much, and so am still unsure if this could be
> addressed with incremental improvements in existing org link support,
> or if it would require more significant enhancements.

No incremental improvement is required IMO, regular links are
sufficient. org-ref has handled these with regular links from the
beginning. It even has an org-ref-refproc now for non-LaTeX exports that
has some support for things like sorting, grouping and cleveref. You can
find an example org file at
https://github.com/jkitchin/org-ref/blob/master/examples/refproc.org,
and see it in action at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRR-5NSpKyE the
video has some rough spots, but you can get the idea.

You can support all kinds of things in these links (for example, I now
support pre/post note text in the cite link paths), really anything you
want to parse out of the path.

--
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F