Re: citations: org-cite vs org-ref 3.0

From: Bruce D'Arcus
Subject: Re: citations: org-cite vs org-ref 3.0
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 11:19:21 -0400

On Mon, Mar 21, 2022 at 10:41 AM Max Nikulin <manikulin@gmail.com> wrote:

> A bit of routine work will alleviate some user issues:
> - add missed styles

The initial list of style-command mappings was pretty comprehensive,
but we left out some of the more obscure biblatex commands because
unsure if they were needed, or how best to add them (conceptually
there's a mix of different kinds of commands in biblatex, which are
hard to fit into a more general style system, for example).

Since then:

- people have occasionally asked to add new mappings, and Nicolas has added them
- he's also added the styles defcustoms for biblatex, so users can do
this themselves

In short, I think we're good on this actually.

> - improve documentation, e.g. to make backend choice more conscious.

This is the bigger user-facing issue that could use attention.

> Another point is more serious. Besides citations there are internal
> cross-references. Org supports them but only in a rudimentary form.

Indeed, the question of how to better support cross-references in org
is an important one.

I don't really use them much, and so am still unsure if this could be
addressed with incremental improvements in existing org link support,
or if it would require more significant enhancements.

Perhaps we need the community to itemize what the gaps and limitations
are there?

Bruce