Re: How do you manage complex project with Org-mode

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: How do you manage complex project with Org-mode
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 08:24:56 +1100

> Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> For example, I
>> would not have a task which says to review my tasks twice a week. Do you
>> really need a task to remind you to do this twice a week? Do you really
>> need to track that you have done this? I would classify such tasks as
>> 'noise' tasks. They really don't perform any real purpose.  It is
>> similar to brain dead project policies which state things like "every
>> function must have a unit test". Many functions don't need a unit test
>> and forcing people to write pointless unit tests does more damage than
>> not having them.
>
> I disagree about this specific example (not with your whole idea).
> Reviewing tasks is important for people who can easily fall into
> continuous routine. Dedicating several hours per week to look into what
> you are doing in a broader perspective is valuable.
>
> Note that I do not mean "review" as looking through _all_ the tasks.
> Rather looking into current projects and deciding what to do, and, more
> importantly, what not to do in the coming week/days/months.
>
> See https://www.benkuhn.net/weekly/

My point was not that you don't need to review on a regular basis.
Reviewing your tasks and projects regularly is essential. My point was
that creating a todo task telling you to review your tasks/projects is
an example of a 'noise' task.

A common beginner error I've seen is for people to be so impressed with
org-mode, they decide to create tasks, templates and projects which map
out every aspect of their life. The problem with doing this is that you
then create additional work for yourself in managing these tasks and you
run the risk of being overwhelmed - you have so many tasks that instead
of making your life easier, you now become paralysed by too many task
choices.

Getting the right balance is challenging and we do need to review
what/how we do things and refine our process in a continuous analyse,
plan, implement, review cycle.