Re: citations: org-cite vs org-ref 3.0

From: chris
Subject: Re: citations: org-cite vs org-ref 3.0
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 22:14:32 +0100

On Sunday, 20 March 2022 20:44:50 CET Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 20, 2022 at 9:42 AM Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com> wrote:
> > For citar, why not simply using ivy-bibtex? It supports org-cite, AFAIK.
>
> Not really; or rather minimally.

I use `org-cite` with a very minimal configuration, and it works very well. I
don't use `ivy` at all. I don't use `helm` at all. Those are very large
framework and should not be forced to people. (I don't use `org-ref`.)

I only use `citar` with minimal configuration. I use `vertico` for the
completion. `citar` is simple enough for me to be able to read and understand
a large part of it.

IMO the more layers of code there are, the more difficult it is to have things
work right. And similarly with the size of the code.

Chris

> Ivy-bibtex supports, for example, inserting of org-cite citations, but
> not via org-cite-insert.

And I have `org-cite-insert` working straight out of the box.