Re: citations: org-cite vs org-ref 3.0

From: Bruce D'Arcus
Subject: Re: citations: org-cite vs org-ref 3.0
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 16:34:08 -0400

On Sun, Mar 20, 2022 at 4:21 PM Dominik Schrempf
<dominik.schrempf@gmail.com> wrote:

> For what it’s worth, I use `org-ref` because fine-grained citation export with
> LaTeX (using BibTeX or BibLaTeX) only works with `org-ref`, and not with
> `org-cite`.

Part of the challenge is this isn't an apples-apples comparison;
org-cite a framework, and it's the processors that really provide the
functionality.

> If I remember correctly, `org-cite` exports the formatted citations into the
> LaTeX file ...

This is not true.

Or rather, it's only true if you use the oc-csl export processor; you
can use other export processors (like oc-biblatex) to get whatever
LaTeX output you want, and ...

>  .... it is really difficult to use different style files, etc. With
> `org-ref`, I can use BibLaTeX with specific style files. (Journal require
> different style files). I can even use my personal LaTeX classes (with
> specific
> bibliography styles) for Org export.

... I believe Nicolas recently added support for customizing the
export styles for biblatex.

Bruce