Re: Links to javascript-based websites from orgmode.org: Paypal and Gith

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Links to javascript-based websites from orgmode.org: Paypal and Github
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 19:27:23 +0800

"Bradley M. Kuhn" <bkuhn@ebb.org> writes:

> I'd be glad to discuss how I've come to these assessments in more detail if
> that's useful to the discussion.  (However, I won't have time to check back
> into this thread until Tuesday due to a deadline.)
>
> I generally recommend PayPal to projects that want to minimize proprietary
> Javascript because you cn often make it all the way through a PayPal
> transaction (if you already have a PayPal account with a credit card attached
> and you're in the USA) with Javascript fully turned off.  That's not saying
> much, but it's better than other processors.  I retest that every 3-6 months;
> the last time I tested it was November.
>
> Comparatively, Stripe is particularly bad because they mandate that you load
> their proprietary Javascript on your own page (see below in footnote for
> more) if you want them to handle the PCI compliance.
>

> [0] Someone mentioned liberapay — but it simply uses Stripe and/or PayPal
>     underneath for the donations.  I just double checked this and noticed
>     that the payment page has:
>          <script src="https://js.stripe.com/v3/";></script>
>     which is what Stripe requires if you want them to handle the PCI
>     compliance.

Thanks for the insight! Could you elaborate a bit why you consider
PayPal better than Librepay (Stripe)? I made an attempt to pay using
PayPal with LibreJS extension and I was unable to go through even a
little. For Librepay, I made all the way to the point where I had to run
Stripe.

Now, we have removed PayPal and left Librepay option in orgmode.org, but
if you think that PayPal should be considered better compared to
Librepay ethically, we would like to hear your opinion.

Best,
Ihor