Re: Links to javascript-based websites from orgmode.org: Paypal and Gith

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Links to javascript-based websites from orgmode.org: Paypal and Github
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 14:31:09 +0800

> Actually I considered Atom and VS Code (that are still on the main page)
> quite similar. I admit that they are open source, but are available
> packages are really free? Maybe my opinion was just distorted by a
> mention of a project aiming to remove telemetry code from VS Code,
> however even that code is actually free, not to mention that privacy is
> completely distinct issue.

Note that not all Emacs packages are truly free (GPL), which is why we
have MELPA and non-GNU ELPA. Nothing can stop people from creating a
proprietary extension either.

As for Atom and VS Code, we do not refer to them directly, but only to
GPL-licensed Org extensions for Atom and VS Code. In general, we cannot
expect non-GNU software to avoid promoting proprietary software.

Here is what GNU standards say on this issue:

>> What about chains of links? Following links from nearly any web site
>> can lead eventually to promotion of non-free software; this is
>> inherent in the nature of the web. Here’s how we treat that.
>>
>> You should not refer to AT&T’s web site if that recommends AT&T’s
>> non-free software packages; you should not refer to a page p that
>> links to AT&T’s site presenting it as a place to get some non-free
>> program, because that part of the page p itself recommends and
>> legitimizes the non-free program.
>>
>> However, if p contains a link to AT&T’s web site for some other
>> purpose (such as long-distance telephone service), that is no reason
>> you should not link to p.

When linking to Org extensions for Atom and VS Code, not presenting them
as a place to get non-free software (because Atom and VS Code are not
non-free themselves). Non-free extension are a deeper level of the link
chain. I interpret GNU Standards statement as allowing second-level
links to non-free software.

In contrast, Org extension for Sublime requires installing non-free
Sublime editor to work. I see it against GNU standards.

Note that I do not fully agree with how strict are GNU standards exactly
because of the discoverability issues you mentioned. But I do not feel
that we should ignore GNU standards in Org without getting approval from
RMS or GNU. Certainly not when Bastien (the maintainer) decided to
follow GNU standards more strictly.

Best,
Ihor