Re: Links to javascript-based websites from orgmode.org: Paypal and Gith

From: Michael Powe
Subject: Re: Links to javascript-based websites from orgmode.org: Paypal and Github
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2022 09:25:34 -0500

On 2/27/2022 07:58, Timothy wrote:
Hi Max,

I guess we shall remove references to non-free software (like the
Sublime Text editor - I will do this later on.)
Frankly speaking, I never considered mention of sublime text in such context as
endorsing it. Even though such linking might cause transition in both direction,
I thought it was targeting mostly current sublime users. I believed that:
- It makes first step toward using Org easier since such possibility becomes
  discoverable through search engines.
- It reduces friction in heterogeneous teams when an Emacs user proposes to use
   Org markup. Later demonstrating features of real Org Mode may become a
  convincing argument to try GNU Emacs.
My 2c: I think being overly zealous with this is a bad idea. We need to meet
people where they are, not where we want them to be.

Hello,

Second that emotion.

I iterate a previous message I wrote: FSF has a PayPal link on its donations page. I don't think org needs to compete for the "purity" prize. The amount of money is less important than letting people express their support for the software, by voting with their wallet.

I live in the US. My bank is local. I can't make purchases outside the US without pre-clearing them with the bank -- unless I use PayPal. The latter is my choice. Everyone has their threshold of inconvenience.  Mine happens to be getting on the phone with the bank every time I want to press the "buy" (or "donate") button.

Re: VS Code. Many extensions are copyrighted by their creators (e.g., Oracle, Salesforce). I know nothing about the legalese of copyright notices. Still, I would not expect that these extensions are free in the GNU sense.

Thanks.

mp

--
"Do not neglect to do good, and to share what you have." - Hebrews 13:16a
Michael Powe