Re: Links to javascript-based websites from orgmode.org: Paypal and Gith

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: Links to javascript-based websites from orgmode.org: Paypal and Github
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2022 18:29:00 +0700

I guess we shall remove references to non-free software (like the
Sublime Text editor - I will do this later on.)

Ihor Radchenko writes:
Sounds reasonable.

On 26/02/2022 15:57, Bastien wrote:
Done.

Frankly speaking, I never considered mention of sublime text in such context as endorsing it. Even though such linking might cause transition in both direction, I thought it was targeting mostly current sublime users. I believed that: - It makes first step toward using Org easier since such possibility becomes discoverable through search engines. - It reduces friction in heterogeneous teams when an Emacs user proposes to use Org markup. Later demonstrating features of real Org Mode may become a convincing argument to try GNU Emacs.

As to search engines, some page on Worg may work almost as well. Visitors of the main page who came noticed a mention or a link has less chance to be hooked however.

Actually I considered Atom and VS Code (that are still on the main page) quite similar. I admit that they are open source, but are available packages are really free? Maybe my opinion was just distorted by a mention of a project aiming to remove telemetry code from VS Code, however even that code is actually free, not to mention that privacy is completely distinct issue.