Re: profiling latency in large org-mode buffers (under both main & org-f

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: profiling latency in large org-mode buffers (under both main & org-fold feature)
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2022 19:45:46 +0700

On 26/02/2022 14:45, Ihor Radchenko wrote:

I think we have a misunderstanding here. That page does not contain much
of technical details. Rather a history.

Thank you for clarification. Certainly originally I had a hope to get some explanation why it was not implemented in a more efficient way. At first I read starting part of the text. It was still interesting to read the story that due to delay of Emacs release people had to fork it into Lucid. I did not know that XEmacs was a successor of Lucid.

Max Nikulin writes:
Actually I suspect that markers may have a similar problem during regexp
searches. I am curious if it is possible to invoke a kind of "vacuum"
(in SQL parlance). Folding all headings and resetting refile cache does
not restore performance to the initial state at session startup. Maybe
it is effect of incremental searches.

I doubt that markers have anything to do with regexp search itself
(directly). They should only come into play when editing text in buffer,
where their performance is also O(N_markers).

I believed, your confirmed my conclusion earlier:

Ihor Radchenko. Re: [BUG] org-goto slows down org-set-property.
Sun, 11 Jul 2021 19:49:08 +0800.
https://list.orgmode.org/orgmode/87lf6dul3f.fsf@localhost/