Re: Playing down the text in org-mode

From: autofrettage
Subject: Re: Playing down the text in org-mode
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2022 19:26:51 +0000

Dear all,

I skimmed through most of the answers, so forgive me if the following has
already been said.

The question triggers an old LaTeX reflex; If the layout tweak or typography
tune turns out to be very difficult to accomplish with LaTeX (including all the
mainstream add-ons), then the reason could be that you ask for something which
most typographers consider to be a really bad idea.

Maybe I use these options incorrectly, but aren't plain parentheses, '()', and
footnotes, the traditional means for adding stuff which the reader can skip?
The usual recommendation is to avoid using these tools too much, since they
distract.

This said, I would like to mention some old-fashioned typography used in (a
reprint of) the sixth edition of "Hydrodynamics" by sir Horace Lamb.

Some stretches of the text in it are printed with smaller font size than the
bulk. First I thought these stretches contained background information,
elaborations on nitty gritty details, or something of this kind. As this theory
wasn't supported by the contents of these harder to read sections, I struggled
to come up with a good explanation.

My current guess is that this book was produced so long ago that the publisher
and author could not afford the luxury of producing new page breaks for the
later editions of the book. In order to fit longer explanations into the
narrative, the text just had to shrink a bit. The first edition was published
1879, the sixth 1932, and Knuth was born 5 years later.

Another unusual feature is that the book makes do without figure and table
numbers and captions. Each table and figure has been placed "in context", and
you will just have to read the text to learn about them.

Cheers
Rasmus