Re: Playing down the text in org-mode

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: Playing down the text in org-mode
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 12:00:13 +0000

On Friday, 14 Jan 2022 at 19:26, autofrettage wrote:
> The question triggers an old LaTeX reflex; If the layout tweak or
> typography tune turns out to be very difficult to accomplish with
> LaTeX (including all the mainstream add-ons), then the reason could be
> that you ask for something which most typographers consider to be a
> really bad idea.

+1

This is something I often have to drum into my students.  If you are
fighting LaTeX, you are probably trying to do something that won't
actually look very good at all.

The problem is that students have been exposed to Word & co. without
using styles, for instance, and think that they have to specify
everything including typefaces, spacing, indents, ...  and, of course,
they know noting about typography.  LaTeX (and org by corollary) does a
very good job with the defaults (including, as you say, the mainstream
add-ons).

--
: Eric S Fraga, with org release_9.5.2-306-g9623da in Emacs 29.0.50