Re: Some commentary on the Org Syntax document

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Some commentary on the Org Syntax document
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2021 15:40:21 +0800

Timothy <tecosaur@gmail.com> writes:

> ⁃ Elements
>   • Greater Elements
>   • (other) Elements

> ⁃ Elements
>   • Greater Elements
>   • Lesser Elements

This sounds reasonable. We can change

- Three categories are used to classify these environments: “Greater
  elements”, “elements”, and “objects”, from the broadest scope to the
  narrowest. The word “element” is used for both Greater and non-Greater
  elements, the context should make that clear.
+ Two main categories are used to classify these environments:
  "elements" and "objects", from the broadest scope to the narrowest.
  "Elements" consist of "greater elements" that can contain other
  elements and objects and "lesser elements" that can only contain
  objects.

>> [Comments on headings and sections]
>
> This accords with my reading of the document and the way I’ve implemented
> things
> in OrgMode.jl (see
> <https://github.com/tecosaur/OrgMode.jl/blob/main/src/types/sections.jl>).

One small clarification. The headline structure is actually
(headline (optional whitespace) (optional section) (optional repeat
nester-headlines))

Section may not start immediately after the first newline but also after
you skip blank chars in front.

For example:

* This is a headline _without_ section, even though it contains some newlines

* Another headline

Section starts at the word "section" and spans all the way to the next headline
or EOB

* Next headline

Best,
Ihor