Re: "Orgdown", the new name for the syntax of Org-mode

From: Christophe Schockaert
Subject: Re: "Orgdown", the new name for the syntax of Org-mode
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 13:58:23 +0100

On 2021-11-29 03:33, Michael Ashton wrote:
On Nov 28, 2021, at 6:22 PM, Jim Porter <jporterbugs@gmail.com> wrote:

On 11/28/2021 11:46 AM, Karl Voit wrote:
At this year's EmascsConf, I had a 12 minute video where I explain why
we do need a different name for the syntax of Org-mode in contrast to
the Elisp implementation of GNU/Emacs Org-mode.
I would like you to read my rationale and motivate you to use the term
"Orgdown" for the syntax and "Orgdown1" for the first (very basic)
level of Orgdown syntax elements.

I agree that it's useful to distinguish the files/syntax from the *mode*, which contains many functions for doing things with those files.

For what it's worth (perhaps not much), I've always referred to the syntax/file format as simply "Org"; for example, "I put my notes into an Org file." This is by analogy with most of the other Emacs major modes for editing files. I write Python in `python-mode', I write C++ in `c++-mode', I write text files in `text-mode', and so on.

Maybe "Org" isn't distinct enough though. People unfamiliar with Org-Mode might confuse "Org" with "org charts" or some other use of the word. Still, if we look to other tools that can read the same files as Org-Mode, they tend to be called things like "Organice", not "Orgmodeanice". :)

Perhaps orgtext or org-text?
Hi Karl and Org fellows,

I do understand that it has always been a tricky topic, since Org Mode and its format are intrinsically linked.

I think what you are bringing is useful, I can feel how a syntax for a "standard" Org format subset would be useful (maybe we could keep open a way to customize it by exporting Lisp params values as part of a document annex, but that's beyond the current status, just to say I understand why you bring that :).

I have to say, however, that I am not very enthusiast with the name that you came by for this. At first, because I feel Org format and Markdown are different beasts ; eventhough I do use Markdown, I prefer Org alot, so it sounds strange to have a reference to Markdown in Org format name. But, really more because I feel like Org stands on its own, and it does not need to help itself as a comparison to Markdown to get its own renown, or to explain what it is.

In previous mails, "Org Syntax" and "Org Markup" sounded good to me.
However, I do like "org-text" or "Org Text" a lot, or why not even "OrgText", but I favor the first two, which refer to the way we write "org-mode" the Emacs Mode and "Org Mode" in documents.

After all, this is exactly what it is about, "Writing text in Org", and what it is essentially "text characters arranged according to Org format".

Have a good day,

Christophe

--
--------------->  https://www.citadels.earth
Once it's perfectly aimed, the flying arrow goes straight to its target.