Re: Introducing Org-transclusion

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Introducing Org-transclusion
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2021 21:59:13 +0800

Noboru Ota <me@nobiot.com> writes:

> This is my first post to Org mailing list.

Welcome ;)

> Is this type of add-on packages worth considering for inclusion into
> Org?  I am asking this question without knowing the practice of how
> these things are considered in this mailing list; apologies if I am
> missing the context.  The feedback I have received includes requests for
> me to put this discussion forward in this mailing list, so some people
> find it useful if Org-transclusion were part of Org.

You have my +100500 to have this package as part of Org :D

The package may allow several interesting things in Org:

1.  An alternative way to structure headings
    Currently, we have a rigid headline structures in Org and
    alternative tag-based approaches like Org Roam. Headline
    transclusion will allow same subtree under several headings (aka
    file system symlinks).

2. A much faster tangle system. If we can directly transclude and sync
   contents of source blocks with actual programming language buffer,
   C-c ' can trivially support flycheck-mode and provide a more
   IDE-like experience while still benefiting from literate programming
   style.

3. Visible #+INCLUDE directives. I recall multiple requests to be able
   to see the INCLUDEd files right inside source Org buffer.

4. Dynamic Org files like agenda views, but made of transcuded
   headlines. Such files can be kept in Org mode with all its features.

Transculation has been requested many times by different users. Some
relevant links:
-
https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/51814/embed-org-task-list-from-other-subtree
-