Re: Problems generating the org-mode documentation

From: Hoffmann, Jobst
Subject: Re: Problems generating the org-mode documentation
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 10:46:22 +0000

Am Freitag, dem 22.10.2021 um 08:16 +0200 schrieb Vincent Breton:
> > On Oct 18, 2021, at 20:51, Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez
> > <paaguti@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > I'm trying to generate the documentation
> > ./org.texi:17579: TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [input stack
> > size=5000].
> Jean-Christophe Helary reported too the location of the source of
> trouble identified by Takesi Ayanokoji.
>
> I think the trouble with "TeX capacity exceeded" is not a trouble with
> "make doc", Emacs or Org.
> Probably a trouble with make or TeX environment as for example the
> size of available RAM.
> I have already met that on Virtual machine with not enough memory for
> compilation but just enough for installation of the OS.

I don't think so: I've increased the settings without a success.

But I think I found the culprit:

Line 17568 of org.texi reads:

@kindex C-c C-x @

and @ starts a command, which leads to the stack overflow.

Line 17568 of org.texi should read

@kindex C-c C-x @@

witha doubled @ at the end of the line and after applying this change
org.texi the documentation org.pdf can be generated without any error.

> On my system "make doc" generate an error but I found a temporary
> solution to generate the documentation in PDF.
>
> 1) I start to make a git clone:
> git clone https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/emacs/org-mode.git
> 2) I used make
> cd org-mode
> make cleanall
> make all
> 3) I generate the pdf files inside the doc directory without using
> make file:
> cd doc
> makeinfo --pdf org.texi
> makeinfo --pdf orgguide.texi
> 4) You can find the files generated in
> http://www.presentiel.com/org/orgguide.pdf and  in
> http://www.presentiel.com/org/org.pdf
>

> About "make doc":
> "make doc" don't work on my environment:
> "make info" and "make html" are working fine but "make pdf", a part of
> "make doc", is not working on my environment.
>
> I reproduce below the error and I suppose there is something wrong
> with the initial path:
>
> entering extended mode
> (../../../org.t2d/pdf/src/org.texi)
> *
> ! Emergency stop.
> <*> \input ../../../org.t2d/pdf/src/org.texi
>
> !  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!
> Transcript written on org.log.

Kind regards
Jobst
--