org-persist? error "Variable binding depth exceeds max-specpdl-size" (wa

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: org-persist? error "Variable binding depth exceeds max-specpdl-size" (was: org-persist - bug report)
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2021 20:51:15 +0800

> Ihor, I have seen your instructions for more debug info, but I have not
> tried them yet. In the meanwhile I have tracked my problem down to to
> the following minimal file
>
> --- >8 ---
> #+begin_example org
>    ,* H
> #+end_example
> --- 8< ---
>
> M-x org-lint
>
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Variable binding depth exceeds
> max-specpdl-size")
> org-filename-concat

I cannot reproduce with your minimal example, but the error indicates
some issue with persistent cache. Can you:

1. Go to cache directory (~/.cache/org-persist)
2. Open "index" file and find the record for your minimal file and find
   :persist-file property. That property is relative cache file path.
3. Attach the contents of the :persist-file

Then, can you delete your cache folder and try to reproduce again?

By the way, did your Emacs crash recently?

> Another observation:
>
> C-c * on a line to make it a header causes the following warning:
>
> Warning (emacs): org-element--cache: Unregistered buffer modifications
> detected. Resetting
>   The buffer is: example.org
>   Current command: nil

I cannot reproduce this as well. The fact that "Current command: nil" is
suspicious. Is "C-c *" bound to org-ctrl-c-star for you?

Best,
Ihor