Re: Useful package? Compat.el

From: Russell Adams
Subject: Re: Useful package? Compat.el
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2021 16:28:31 +0200

On Mon, Oct 11, 2021 at 06:36:50PM +0800, Timothy wrote:
> I’ve recently come across an interesting looking library available on ELPA,
> <https://git.sr.ht/~pkal/compat>. I’m thinking in future this could allow us
> both use newer features and also support older versions of Emacs, e.g.
>
> Org 10.X is developed for Emacs 28.1 and newer, but supports Emacs 24.3 and
> newer with compat.el.

That's interesting, using a library to wrap new Emacs functionality
and implement a common replacement instead of custom work-arounds in
local code.

Do you have any examples of where this could shorten code in Org?

I believe it's a tall order to add a dependency, but if it eliminates
large chunks of backward compatibility code then maybe that's
something to consider.

Thanks.