Re: Useful package? Compat.el

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: Useful package? Compat.el
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2021 20:04:08 +0200

On Mon, Oct 11 2021, Timothy wrote:
> I think the way to do this would be as a “soft” dependency, i.e. not needed
> for
> anyone running a recent version of Emacs, but needed if you want to use Org
> with
> an old version of Emacs. Not sure how this would best be done, but if this
> were
> to be useful, this is how I’d imagine it working.

IIUC you can simply specify a dependency on `compat` and the package itself will
make sure only the necessary compatibility functions are loaded given the Emacs
version it's running in. So if you're running Emacs 28, nothing is loaded; if
you're running Emacs 27, `compat-28.1` is loaded to ensure packages written for
Emacs 28 can still be used; if you're running Emacs 26, both `compat-27.1` and
`compat-28.1` are loaded, etc.

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments