Re: Grabbing the link to a message on the archive

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: Grabbing the link to a message on the archive
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2021 22:07:14 +0700

On 30/09/2021 12:18, Timothy wrote:
Hi Greg,

i love the searching on list.orgmode.org, but i have this recurrent
dream: that some day each e-mail message will come with a header listing
the URL for that message on <https://list.orgmode.org>.  (though i also
worry this might open us up to some sort of spam, or other, attack?)

and, i’ll add my thanks and congratulations on 9.5!

cheers, Greg

If you use mu4e, the following may be of some interest:
┌────
│ (defun +mu4e-ml-message-link (msg)
│   (cond
│    ((string= "emacs-orgmode.gnu.org" (mu4e-message-field msg :mailing-list))
│     (message "Link %s copied to clipboard" (gui-select-text (format
"https://list.orgmode.org/%s"; (mu4e-message-field msg :message-id)))))
│    (t (user-error "Mailing list %s not supported" (mu4e-message-field msg
:mailing-list)))))
│ (add-to-list 'mu4e-view-actions (cons "link to message ML"
#'+mu4e-ml-message-link t))
└────

I expect this could be adapted to other clients (notmuch, gnus, etc.)
without much trouble :)

lists.gnu.org allows to map Message-ID to URL as well:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/cgi-bin/namazu.cgi?query=%2Bmessage-id%3A87tuolhyl7.fsf%40posteo.net&idxname=emacs-orgmode

Unfortunately I have no idea how to get Message-ID having a link to particular message on lists.gnu.org without search by e.g. subject and author.

I had an impression that mailman mangles links like
https://list.orgmode.org/87tuolhyl7.fsf@posteo.net
since they resemble email addresses, so should be protected from spammers. I do not have links to prove it for mailman but debbugs certainly does it. In this sense links to lists.gnu.org are safer:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2021-04/msg00133.html