Re: Multilingual quotes inside paragraphs

From: Juan Manuel Macías
Subject: Re: Multilingual quotes inside paragraphs
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2021 13:49:05 +0000

Hi Maxim, thank you for your comments.

Maxim Nikulin writes:
> Are you intentionally avoiding macros {{{lang(ru, текст)}}}?

Yes. Precisely, these experiments are just an attempt to find an
alternative to macros (I use macros a lot). In scenarios like these
(chunks of text) is where the issue of the comma as a escape character
in macros becomes more evident (this comma issue has been discussed in a
past thread, and some interesting proposals were made). Links and
macros, of course, have their pros and cons.

> It seems, you are abusing links a bit.

I'm afraid it's true :-). Anyway I think the links have a great
potential. I have tried exploring other "eccentric" uses of links, for
example here (to export subfigures to LaTeX and HTML):
https://orgmode.org/list/87mty1an66.fsf@posteo.net/ or also in my
org-critical-edition package, to work on (philological) critical
editions from Org: https://gitlab.com/maciaschain/org-critical-edition

> [...]
> Another issue is that someone will almost immediately want to put such
> quote inside link or vice versa to make some fragment of a quote a
> regular link.

Yes, that issue you describe would be one of the biggest drawbacks for
the use of links in these contexts.

Links (or macros) are a good user-level solution to solve certain
specific cases, IMHO. At a native level (in case Org someday implement
consistent and native multilingual support), I don't know what would be
the best solution for multilingual chunks of text inside paragraphs.
Maybe some kind of inline `quote' block?

Best regards,

Juan Manuel