Multilingual quotes inside paragraphs

From: Juan Manuel Macías
Subject: Multilingual quotes inside paragraphs
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2021 09:25:04 +0000

Hi all,

I'm experimenting with `org-link-set-parameters' to create multilingual
quotes (chunks of text) inside paragraphs. Although I focus mainly on
the export to LaTeX with babel and csquotes packages, I also want extend
support for HTML and odt output. I leave here some sketches.

For the `:face' parameter I use for laziness a face already defined in
Magit :-). `:display' with the value 'full can be removed.

First, we have the LaTeX babel command \foreignlanguage{lang}{chunk of
text}. The language can be expressed by abbreviation ("de" for German;
here I reuse `org-latex-babel-language-alist') or explicitly preceded by
a "!": "!german" (the reason for the latter is that in babel we can
define new languages):

[[lang:de][some text in German]]

or

[[lang:!german][some text in German]]

The code:

(org-link-set-parameters "lang"
                           :display 'full
                           :face 'magit-header-line-key
                           :export (lambda (target desc format)
                                     (cond
                                      ((eq format 'latex)
                                       (let ((langs
org-latex-babel-language-alist))
                                         (concat
                                          "\\foreignlanguage{"
                                          (if (string-match-p "!" target)
                                              (replace-regexp-in-string "!" ""
target)
                                            (cdr (assoc target langs)))
                                          "}{" desc "}")))
                                          ;; TODO
                                      ((or (eq format 'html)
                                           (eq format 'odt))
                                       (format "%s" desc)))))

We also have this command from the csquotes package for foreign quoted
texts (loads only the hyphenation rules for the language and sets the
text between quotation marks): \hyphentextquote{lang}{quoted text}. For
this I have defined a new link "qlang":

  (org-link-set-parameters "qlang"
                           :display 'full
                           :face 'magit-header-line-key
                           :export (lambda (target desc format)
                                     (cond
                                      ((eq format 'latex)
                                       (let ((langs
org-latex-babel-language-alist))
                                         (concat
                                          "\\hyphentextquote{"
                                          (if (string-match-p "!" target)
                                              (replace-regexp-in-string "!" ""
target)
                                            (cdr (assoc target langs)))
                                          "}{" desc "}")))
                                      ((or (eq format 'html)
                                           (eq format 'odt))
                                       ;; TODO (use here the proper quotes)
                                       (format "«%s»" desc)))))

We can even make the citations come out in color when we are in draft
mode, thanks to the LaTeX ifdraft package:

(org-link-set-parameters "qlang"
                         :display 'full
                         :face 'magit-header-line-key
                         :export (lambda (target desc format)
                                   (cond
                                    ((eq format 'latex)
                                     (let ((langs
org-latex-babel-language-alist))
                                       (concat

"{\\ifdraft{\\color{teal}}{}\\hyphentextquote{"
                                        (if (string-match-p "!" target)
                                            (replace-regexp-in-string "!" ""
target)
                                          (cdr (assoc target langs)))