Re: [WDYT] org-attach-sync better remove an empty attachment directory?

From: Marco Wahl
Subject: Re: [WDYT] org-attach-sync better remove an empty attachment directory?
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2021 09:45:31 +0200

>> org-attach-sync can be used to "Synchronize the current outline node
>> with its attachments."  Which is great AFAICT.
>>
>> What do you think about letting org-attach-sync remove the attachment
>> directory if it's empty?
>>
>> Rationale: Nobody needs an empty attachment directory.
>>

> This seems pretty reasonable to me provided it only removes an
> attachments directly which was created by org-attach-sync. If the
> directory existed or was created by something external, then removing it
> probably should not be done.

I think it's too much effort to keep a list of attachment directories
which have been created by Org attachment commands.  Complexity!  (BTW
org-attach-sync does not create an attachment directory.  It rather
checks the state of the directory and acts accordingly.)

Please recall that only empty attachment directories would be removed,
so removal of a directory--and in particular one that existed before its
interpretation as Org attachment--wouldn't be a big deal AFAICS.

> Likely this is something which should be controllable via a custom
> setting?

To be honest I'd rather not make another customizable thing out of it to
keep the overall complexity low.

OTOH we could easily introduce e.g. customizable
org-attach-delete-empty-dirs-on-sync.